Monday, February 25, 2013

The Plover Project -- Life in the Boat Yard (Part 5)

Our Nature's Head composting toilet.
 
We had decided that we wanted a self contained composting toilet rather than a marine toilet with a holding tank and thru hull fitting. It took us awhile to get around to ordering it because it wasn't cheap so it was a tough decision to make. We have had it in use for over a month now and are completely happy with it. 
 
 
 
John Goodman arrived to help with sanding (again). We should be able to paint the hull this week if the weather cooperates.

***


Chris with the belt sander; it broke later that day and we had to get a new one. So far, we have worn out and replaced an orbital sander, a belt sander, and a drill. I'm sure most of our other power tools are feeling abused and won't last much longer.

I'm glad he's wearing the respirator while sanding fiberglass. Major was having a problem a few weeks ago with nose bleeds and we guessed it was due to inhaling fiberglass dust. The poor little guy needs a doggie respirator.



When the going gets tough, Major relaxes in the truck. He likes to hang out in there and we leave the door open so he can come and go as he pleases.
 
 
 
We got the rudder hung. I scraped and sanded off all the old fiberglass and it now has all new hardware.
New prop too, although it's hard to see it in this picture:
 


Food storage under our bed. All the cans have to be marked with a sharpie to show their contents in case the labels get wet and come off. We won't have refrigeration on our boat so most of our diet will be from canned and packaged foods.


I like this can, no need to mark the top, it's already labeled.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I am living vicariously through your blog, I'm feeling a little empty and disconnected here with nothing to sand or paint. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too funny! I don't mind sanding but I sure don't like that "chalky" feeling at the end of the day. Time for me to pull out the dishpan and have myself a bath!

      Delete