Monday, April 29, 2013

The Plover Project -- Life in the Boat Yard (Part 8)

Making Lists:

I'm a list maker. I'm not one of those people that can keep it all in my head. I have to write it down and sometimes, if I complete a task that wasn't on my list, I will add it to my list just to experience the satisfaction of crossing it off. I know. Sick. My list of stuff to do has become 4 separate lists:

1. Stuff we gotta do today.
2. Stuff that can wait until next week.
3. Stuff that can wait until next haul out.
4. Stuff we ain't never gonna do.

Painting:

We spent the past few days painting. I've gotten one good coat of bottom paint on and will add a second coat. I love painting the bottom because I don't have to worry about making it look nice, I just have to get a nice, even coat of the thick, copper-filled paint on everything below the water line. We lucked out on our bottom paint and found 2 gallons that had been discontinued for $20 a can. The normal price is $200 a can.


We decided to paint the cap rails and rub rails instead of varnishing them. After almost 50 years of sanding and varnishing, and sometimes letting the varnish go and allowing the wood to become weathered, there was no way we were ever going to get them to look nice. We cut out and replaced sections of rot, sanded them as smoothly as we could get them, and started getting paint on them. Replacing the cap rails, rub rails, and bulwarks have been added to List No. 3, Stuff That Can Wait Until Next Haul Out.

Chris is taping off, I'm painting:

Green bulwarks, primer on cap rails and rub rails:

Our neighbor made window frames for our larger windows:

Chris got this box to mount our masthead lights on:

No comments:

Post a Comment